In the Middle Ages Gárdony puszta appeared as an independent community in the conscriptions. According to the resources it had a church too. It lost its population and became a puszta during the Turkish occupation of Hungary. The consecutive landowners started cultivating the huge fields of the puszta between the end of the 18th century and in the first half of the 19th century. Count István Géza Mailáth made it a well-equipped domanial centre, who got round to Gárdony puszta by marriage in 1894. The name of the puszta was Gárdony (Gárdon in the Middle Ages) until 1912, between 1912 and 1956 it was Mailáthgárdony, and from 1956 Nógrádgárdony. There were not more than 20-25 families living in Gárdony according to the yearly birth rates in the 18th century.
In 1880 Nándor Zichy (his wife is Lívia Zichy) purchased the estate fitted with all means of production at that time. Just in one and a half decade Gárdony puszta got a new owner. István Géza Mailáth Count Székhelyi married Nándor Zichy’s daughter, Marietta in 1894. Géza Mailáth had the one-storied castle – designed by Miklós Ybl for the Torkos family - partly destroyed and reconstructed and then had a two-storied neo-Renaissance style house built in its place designed by József Hubert.
He extended the estate with new sevants’ quarters, purchased more modern farm utensils and supplied the houses in the puszta with generator current.
It is possible on the information available to say that Géza Mailáth did not take a developed farm from his ancestors. In 1853 in Gárdony puszta Mihály Torkos employed a young bailiff who was born in Eger. He directed the everyday work. According to the registers preserved at the parish in Marcali they didn’t have the lack of labour either.
Between 1870 and 1880 there were more than fifty breadwinners working in Gárdony estate. Among them there were 30 farm hands, 15 coachmen and 4 haywards. Because of the fragmentation of the ancient demesne there were people from Csitár in the list of servants. Most people became domestic servants from Csikány, Sebők and Pénzes families. Most of the employees moved to the puszta from Rimóc, Varsány, Sipek and Kelecsény. There were people who named Csalomia, Csesztve, Herencsény, Bercel and Alsósztregova as their previous residences.
After the Second World War some parts of the lost estates were distributed among the poorer families in the puszta and then later the farmers’ cooperative - established in 1950 - became the owner of the puszta.